New home for The Rebeccammendations

The Rebeccammendations has moved to.......................................

http://www.rebeccammendations.com/

See ya there!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Thank you, Denver...Oreo Truffles and Free Tours!

*Check out my food fotography by clicking on this picture. Photo by Rebecca Otis

I decided to knock another city off of my "To-Go" list, and went to visit my cousin, Dana, in late January. I, of course, chose to go in the winter, despite the usual cold weather. I was lucky, and was able to explore Denver and Boulder with 60-degree and sunny days! While I was there, Dana and I discovered the many shared qualities we have, which proves that we're related, although we only see eachother about once a year! One of these qualities, is the desire to entertain, and our love for being creative in the kitchen. Dana introduced me to one of my favorite food recipe blogs, Bakerella, where she found a recipe for Oreo Truffles that I helped make for her Super Bowl party on the day I was leaving. They looked so fabulous, I decided to try them for a Potluck Shabbat that I attend once a month. They were a hit! The Potluck organizer and Tasty Touring food blogger, Jodi, was kind enough to feature them on her blog!

Recipe Recommended for: a fun, easy, and looks-fancy-but-is-not dessert recipe, try this:

Oreo Truffles, Adapted from bakerella.blogspot.com (January 2008)

Ingredients
1 package oreo cookies (divided....Use cookie including the cream center)
1 8oz. package cream cheese (softened)
White chocolate and milk chocolate bark (it is often called "coating chocolate" for candy making)

Directions
1. Finely crush 7 cookies in a food processor or place them in a ziploc bag and crush into a fine consistency. Reserve for later.
2. Crush remaining cookies and stir in softened cream cheese. Use the back of a large spoon to help mash the two together.
3. Roll the mixture into 1" balls and place on wax paper covered cookie sheet. (if you stick these in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes, they are easier to dip)
4. Melt chocolate as directed on the package or double boil chocolate and remove to a bowl that is deep enough for dipping to avoid burnt chocolate.
5. Dip balls into chocolate (using a toothpick or metal skewer would work best to get the balls fully coated), tap off extra and set aside on wax paper covered cookie sheet to dry. You can sprinkle the tops with the 7 crushed cookies for decoration or use the opposite color of the dipping chocolate to drizzle on the top for decoration.
6. Once dry, refrigerate and enjoy!Makes about 36 truffles.
Challenge: Try making these as mint oreo truffles using the same recipe with mint oreos!

Denver Recommendations: While in Denver, we made a stop at the Coor's Brewery in Golden, CO, for a free tour that ended in 3 complimentary tasting beers of your choice. One of our favorites was the refreshing Blue Moon with an orange slice in it that we toasted with in the tasting room. Also, we had a fabulous brunch at Lucille's Creole Cafe, with a "Creole menu and the restaurant's goals of becoming the nation's premier brunch restaurant."

Boulder Recommendations. If you know me, you know that I love tea, and even have my own teapot collection (yes, another hobby) from my travel adventures, even though I don't have enough room to display them all in my apartment! One of the highlights of my trip was the Celestial Seasonings tea factory tour, which is also a free tour and a fabuous tourist attraction, complete with tea tastings, and a few minutes in the all-consuming mint room that definitely cleared my sinuses :) Of course, at the end of the tour, I made a stop at the gift shop to add to my teapot collection with a souvenir that will always remind me of my first trip to Colorado!

No comments:

Post a Comment